Skip to content

Springline Parish

St Andrew's Church,

St Andrew's Church,

St Andrew’s in Fillingham is a fascinating church with a long and interesting history. It is set on the edge of the village amid fields, beside a lake with Fillingham Castle on the ridge above it.

It was first mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086 but the current building dates back to 1180. It was largely rebuilt in 1777 with a new chancel and tower and further restored in 1866. The oldest part of the church is a Norman doorway in the west transept.

The church’s parish registers exist from 1661.

Major T. N. Dalton of the 95th regiment, who was a principal land owner in the area, has a monument at the church. He killed at the battle of Inkerman, in the Crimea, on November 5th 1854.

St. Andrew’s Church has historical links to Balliol College, Oxford University and the land surrounding the church was used for the priests’ income. Balliol College has been a patron of Fillingham since 1343. As patron they hold the advowson, which is the right to nominate a member of the clergy to the vacant benefice, or ‘living’ (income) from the church office.

The most famous rector of Fillingham was John Wycliffe who was at the church from 1361 to 1368. He led the first translation of the Latin bible into English. He was a famous theologian, philosopher, church reformer and one of the forerunners of the Protestant reformation. He died in Ludgershall in 1384.

Fillingham Church has a magnificent stained glass window above the altar and the mix of architecture is enchanting.

For any information about St Andrew’s Church Fillingham please call the Churchwardens of this church Mr Roy Butterworth on 07850 685507 or Mrs Sarah Overton on 07411 152241.

For information about Church services please click Rota of Church Services.

Photography by Jon Scourse

Finding the Church

Instant access to Prayer

Prayer guidance from the Church of England is available from the links below

Morning Prayer

Evening Prayer

Rota of Church Services

Join us